But other than that, life is going really well. I'm happy and content for once, which is nice. I realized the other day what a relief it is just to sit back and admit that you're happy and you are cool with who you are. No te preocupes.
So this is a poem I wrote called "Refractions". Let me know what you think!
Refractions
As I drive, I see an old woman sitting alone on her front porch swing,
Watching the highway cars pass her by
And I wonder if she sees the world through kaleidoscope eyes
Images refracting towards the back of her mind
The rainbow colors of her tingling wind chime
Resonating a spectrum of life
That hums within the
Viable vibrations of her soul
A rainbow visible with keen eyes
And this is how I paint her with my mind:
Squinting eyes passing the hours staring off onto the prairie horizons
Face etched in the dust of the Plains,
Wrinkles that have presided over the chickens and the cows
And the harsh loneliness of tall grasses.
A widow, no more contacts
Her address book weary and ragged with outdated names
Yellowed like the skin of its owner.
She does not mourn the state of her life.
She is alone with the land that she loves
The land she has refused to sell,
Stubborn as the oaks that surround her humble home.
After years of back-breaking work in the fields,
In the kitchens, providing for her children
Like the chickens,
The children have flown the coop.
She has earned it.
This rest, this overdue reprieve.
She stares because she can, because time is not her master.
Rather,
She creates it with the wave of her freckled hand
I wonder as I daydream of her
If I registered in her thoughts as I passed by
A blip on the spectrum fringes of her horizon,
Or whether it was all a mirage of the prairies
A refraction of life in the back of my mind.
Refractions
As I drive, I see an old woman sitting alone on her front porch swing,
Watching the highway cars pass her by
And I wonder if she sees the world through kaleidoscope eyes
Images refracting towards the back of her mind
The rainbow colors of her tingling wind chime
Resonating a spectrum of life
That hums within the
Viable vibrations of her soul
A rainbow visible with keen eyes
And this is how I paint her with my mind:
Squinting eyes passing the hours staring off onto the prairie horizons
Face etched in the dust of the Plains,
Wrinkles that have presided over the chickens and the cows
And the harsh loneliness of tall grasses.
A widow, no more contacts
Her address book weary and ragged with outdated names
Yellowed like the skin of its owner.
She does not mourn the state of her life.
She is alone with the land that she loves
The land she has refused to sell,
Stubborn as the oaks that surround her humble home.
After years of back-breaking work in the fields,
In the kitchens, providing for her children
Like the chickens,
The children have flown the coop.
She has earned it.
This rest, this overdue reprieve.
She stares because she can, because time is not her master.
Rather,
She creates it with the wave of her freckled hand
I wonder as I daydream of her
If I registered in her thoughts as I passed by
A blip on the spectrum fringes of her horizon,
Or whether it was all a mirage of the prairies
A refraction of life in the back of my mind.

3 comments:
mmmmmm i really really like this. i like the "no more contacts" because you talk about eyes in this poem and i was thinking contacts like....eyes....contacts....i don't know if that was what you were going for, haha. but it works! this is really great. seriously. i like your writing style because i really like metaphors and similes. they are pretty much my favorite thing in writing. i say that about everything but seriously.
can't wait to read more poetry!
I am so glad that you have a blog so that I get to read more of your poetry! This is a beautiful piece. I love how you took a fleeting, seemingly unimportant moment (you just drove by a woman one day; we all do that all the time without thinking twice about it) and stretched it out into such reflective poetry. Your words painted such a vivid picture of this woman, and I had no problem visualizing her appearance and her life as you imagined it. Also, "kaleidescope eyes". I don't know if you were meaning to give a little shout out to the Beatles there or not, but Breezy will be very proud of you!
this is an old post, but whatev
i love this poem a lot, and not just because it has a beatles lyric in it
i agree with peggy's comment. its so awesome how you can create this from a simple glance at something. amazing
Post a Comment