Monday, September 14, 2009

Landing in London, my first reactions.

Oh good Lord, it is one crowded city! Ok, granted, should have expected this from one of the world's biggest cities, but boy, I was a little surprised.

Landing in London saw me have a 2-hour wait through customs, and then we walked a bit in the streets to get to our hotel (we are staying at a hotel for orientation, the university on Friday.) and there were just SO many people. I felt a little overwhelmed for a little bit, just caught off-guard by the people zipping in and out of the streets. Craziness. This also goes along well with my second observation. British people love to live in tight, compact spaces. I opened my hotel room and found that it was not much bigger than a closet. I laughed as I saw that my bed frame almost touched the bathroom door, and that this space was not 3 feet from my hotel door. You know what, though? I love my midget hotel room. Its so different for me that I'm just getting used to it, I go from the peaceful, spacious Colorado to the hustle and bustle of London. It's like being on two different planets. 

I also had a lovely ordeal trying to figure out how to use my newly purchased British cell phone. In Britain, you buy phones with a certain amount of minutes and then you "top off" your phone by adding more minutes to the phone pretty much anywhere. But, the complicated part is that there are about a zillion plans with a zillion different options and some have international calls some don't, so I settled on the cheapo 25 pound phone plan. But it won't let me call home, which makes me sad, but hopefully that function will turn on soon. 

By the way, converting dollars to pounds makes me cry. I lost about $80 right off the bat, because the dollar is so worthless to the pound. 

But, through all of it, I've chosen to just embrace it. BY the way, I'm typing from like the fanciest McDonald's in the universe. Leather chairs, free wi-fi, fashionably designed interior, a little ridiculous. So...I'm having all sorts of London adventures. That's all for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, going to a McDonalds in London. But a fancy one, I guess!

Glad to know you're doing well (read your facebook note too). It sounds a little like starting college again, with that weird adjustment period where you feel like you'll never make friends but then the next day you have a hundred.

Go see some more Shakespeare for me!